Monday, February 17, 2014

Baked Chicken Fajitas

We're back to a sick dog. Last night, when Dan got home from hockey, as we were laying on the couch talking about our day, Lana jumped up on top of us an immediately threw up on us (mostly Dan). Right now she's just eating white rice and I will see how that goes, as going to the bathroom is a whole other issue for her. We might be heading back to the vet. If we do, it's nothing but ramen for a while for Dan and I, because blood work and x-rays aren't cheap. If I had known she was going to continue to be sick I would've savored these fajitas last night even more....

Dan doesn't eat anything Mexican or anything with Mexican style spices, so taco and fajitas are rare in our house. Yesterday I was craving some, so since he was working and then had hockey, I made a small batch for myself. I forgot I had this recipe for baking them, which is even less work than standing at the stove to stir fry everything up (which isn't even much work to begin with). I scaled it down from the original a bit to make a little 8x8 dish of it, rather than 9x13. I also had more veggies in mine than chicken. I used the rest of the chicken to boil for Lana's new sick puppy diet....

This is my smaller version. If you want the bigger one, just use a whole pound of chicken breasts. I used 2 peppers instead of one, and half an onion rather than a whole one. I also left out the tomatoes and chiles.

Baked Chicken Fajitas
adapted from Six Sisters Stuff

2 boneless, skinless chick breasts, cut into strips
1 or 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
1/2 medium onion, cut into strips
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
tortillas
cheese
sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine the chicken and veggies in an 8x8 baking dish.
3. In a small bowl combine the oil and spices. Drizzle over the chicken and veggies, stirring to coat.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or so until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
5. Serve on warmed tortillas with cheese, sour cream, any toppings you want!

Why did this rotate? Ugh....





No comments: