Saturday, February 15, 2014

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches

Once again, it is snowing. Snow storms are the best days for crock pot meals. Even though you're usually stuck home during storms, giving you more time to prepare a meal, there's something nice about throwing something in a crock pot and letting it cook all day, filling your house with amazing smells while you romp around the yard in the snow with the dogs. I made this Thursday when we had a snow day from school. Maybe I should have planned 2 crock pot meals this week and used one today.

Here I am, the first full day of my February vacation, planning out all of the great things I'm going to cook and bake. Whenever I do this, it never happens. Although, I do have to bake because I'm taking a cake decorating class and my homework this week requires me to bring in a cake and make some icing. So that will definitely happen, but I need some more fun stuff to make as well. Time to get back into some baking, well, if the puppy decides she'll take a break from destroying everything in sight...

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches
from Confections of a Foodie Bride

1 medium yellow onion
3/4 cup beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. mustard (I used Dijon)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 lb. chuck roast
salt and pepper
sandwich rolls (I sliced up a Ciabatta loaf)
sliced provolone cheese

1. Slice the onion into 1/4-inch rounds. Place the rounds in the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Add the mustard and garlic. Combine the broth, water, soy sauce and Worcestershire and pour over onion.
3. Season the roast with salt and pepper all over and place in the crock pot.
4. Cook on low for 6-7 hours until beef is cooked and tender. Shred the beef.
5. Place sandwich rolls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until a little golden. Top with beef, onions and a slice of cheese. Return to broiler and broil another 1-2 minutes until cheese melts. Eat!

These were great and really hit the spot. The only downside is that roasts can be so expensive sometimes, so it's not something I would make all the time. I grabbed a nice Ciabatta loaf from the bakery and sliced it up. I mean, it was pretty hard to pass up this fresh roasted garlic loaf...



See that garlic?? See it?!?!

Sometimes measuring is optional for me.




No comments: