Monday, February 24, 2014

Cheeseburger Rice

February vacation has come to an end. Back to work I went today. And no, I didn't bake last week, except for the cake I had to make for cake decorating class. As always, I planned to bake and cook and a crazy schedule got the best of me. Between a sick puppy and things popping up, I didn't get too much time to devote to cooking. I was able to get into the kitchen tonight and try a recipe I found in a magazine ad. I don't usually use recipes from a box (no reason why), but this recipe just looked easy and like something Dan might eat. I was right about it being easy. It's an easy weeknight meal that comes together with little to no fuss. However, I was wrong about Dan liking it - it wasn't his favorite. Too much onion, even though I used less, and too much "Mexican spices", which I used much less of as well. Oh well, I enjoyed it, and I'll even have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow since Dan didn't care for it. Can't win 'em all I guess.

By the way, here's the cake from last week's class. It's the Wilton method of decorating. This first course is very basic, and we've only learned how to use two icing tips so far, so that's all we could use to decorate with. The pattern came out okay, but I would've used a different tip for parts of it.

 
 
Cheeseburger Rice
from GOYA (don't remember the magazine it came from)

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
GOYA Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning with pepper, to taste (didn't use)*
1 (8 oz.) box GOYA yellow rice (I used Spanish style)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

* I used a little bit of some chipotle rub I had in place of the all-purpose seasoning

1. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onion and garlic and cook until beef is browned. Drain and discard the fat.
2. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder and seasoning. Stir to combine and then move beef to a bowl or plate.
3. Add 2 cups water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice packet and let boil for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat, mix in the beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Let sit for 5 minutes, covered, until cheese melts.

No comments: