Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Three Packet Roast

And the whirlwind week continues.

Today was another day of slightly controlled chaos at school. Followed by a pretty good cheer practice with my girls. I was nervous at first to coach 11 year-olds after coaching high school, who work hard and get right to business, but my girls are great. We of course have those moments of typical 11 year-old silliness, but to see them perform their halftime routine and make some last minute changes pretty easily, made me proud.

It was nice to have a meal ready when I got home, knowing I didn't have to throw together a meal between lesson planning, cheer practice, and the feeling of exhaustion that I have this week. The only thing I had to do was make the gravy and slice the roast. This was good, but mine was a little over-cooked. I was home later than I thought, so it stayed in the crock pot longer than it should have. Stick to the 6 hour time slot as directed and yours should come out a little better than mine. The flavorings for the gravy are delicious. I would reduce the water you add to the crock pot. When the meat cooks you get quite a bit of juices, so I ended up with more liquid than needed for the gravy. You may not really need to add any water if you just want to use the juices.

Three Packet Roast
from Just a Pinch

3-4 pound bottom rump roast
3 red potatoes, cut into large cubes
5-6 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 medium onion, quartered
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet Italian dressing mix
1 packet brown gravy mix
1/2 cup water (if using)
2-3 tbsp. cornstarch

1. Put the chopped veggies in the bottom of the crock pot and place roast on top.
2. Sprinkle roast with all packets mixes. Add water.
3. Cook on low about 6 hours.
4. Drain liquid from the crock pot and place a small saucepan. Use a 1/4 cup of liquid to mix with cornstarch and then add to the saucepan. Bring to a boil then turn off heat.
5. Cut the roast against the grain and serve with veggies and gravy.


No comments: