Sunday, September 28, 2014

One Pot Chili Mac

Why is it almost 90 degrees out? It's going to be October in 3 days.

I'm behind on posting a few recipes, so I'm going to try and catch up as I make my favorite spaghetti sauce and do far too many loads of laundry. And then, wedding things.

I can't believe I'm under the two week mark. Thirteen days. Where did the last year go?

Friday I decided to make a chili mac that could feed us until today, and I knew I needed to make my sauce again, because I can't seem to go more than three weeks without having it. I may have a problem. The chili mac was good, but I wouldn't call it mac and cheese, like the original posting. When I think of mac and cheese, I think of creamy, cheesy, goodness. This was more like a chop suey type of dish. It was great, but it doesn't deserve the title of mac and cheese.

One Pot Chili Mac
adapted from Damn Delicious

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 onion, diced
1 lb. ground beef
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp. chili powder
1.5 tsp. cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
10 oz. pasta (any kind, I used medium shells)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
 
1. In a dutch oven (or large deep skillet), add the oil, garlic, onions, and ground beef. Brown the beef and crumble until mostly cooked through. Drain.
2. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, chili powder and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer.
3. Stir and pasta and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-15 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Top with remaining cup of cheese, cover, and let the cheese melt, about 2 minutes. Serve.
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments: