Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Easy Crock Pot Beef Queso Dip

It's April 6th.

We had a snow storm 2 days ago.

It was 70 degrees out last week.

I don't like this.


I'm sitting by my window, typing this, and it is just so gray and dreary out. Last week got the excitement of spring coming, and this week it was all swept away. We're having family portraits done in 2 weeks and the photographer said there's an extended forecast of snow!

Snow on April 17th!

The only plus side to cold weather is using it as an excuse to cook hearty meals. Meaning, it's cold, so I can cook heavier and unhealthier meals, because those are the cold-weather meals, right?

This recipe is another that got to test out my triple crock pot. The original recipe is spicier, but I omitted some of the heat because I prefer a milder dip. I left out the jalapenos, but I included them in the recipe below. I have to say, I do love Velveeta mac and cheesy, it's just so creamy and thick, but cubing up a block of processed Velveeta cheese? It grossed me out. It didn't stop me from eating the dip though...

This dip got a lot of compliments, and I didn't even get to taste test it until hours after I made it because I got so busy. I think it had the right amount of heat for me, though I'm sure most would have liked it a little spicier.

Easy Crock Pot Beef Queso Dip
From Brown Eyed Baker

1 lb. ground beef
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 large jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
2/3 cup water
2 tbsp. taco seasoning mix
32 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes

1. Brown the ground beef and onions in a skillet over medium heat. Drain the excess fat. Add the jalapeno, water and taco seasoning, turn up the heat a bit and cook, stirring, until liquid reduces.
2. Transfer beef to a crock pot. Add the cheese and tomatoes and stir to combine.
3. Cook on low for 1-2 hours until the cheese is melted.

Here's a not so great pic of it.


No comments: