Monday, July 9, 2012

Shrimp Enchilada Bake

First day of summer school is under the belt. It was chaotic, as there's always so much to settle once you get in there, but it went by quickly. It gets really hard to plan meals when I'm at work, because my classroom is on average 87 degrees, which makes popsicles and salads the only appealing foods. Then I come home to my central AC (oh, how I love thee), and want something warm.

It's Monday, so that means Dan is working tonight, which means I can make whatever I want because he won't be home for dinner. For some unknown and ridiculous reason, Dan doesn't care for Mexican food...who doesn't like Mexican food?!

Dan, that's who.

So, I used the opportunity to make a healthier enchilada bake. My ideal enchilada has shredded chicken or beef, an ungodly amount of cheese, and mole sauce. Are you starting to see why I chose a healthier version???? Anywho, this version is quick and simple with chopped shrimp, corn, chopped green chiles and some enchilada sauce. It's all baked between two layers of corn tortillas with a sprinkle of cheese on top. I probably could've had a smaller "sprinkle" of cheese, but let's be honest, the more cheese the better. So although I did put less than I wanted, it's more than the recipe called for I bet.

Shrimp Enchilada Bake
from Eating Well

1 lb. peeled, cooked shrimp, tails removed and chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I used canned corn, drained)
2 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles, not drained
2 cups enchilada sauce (original recipe called for green sauce, I used red)
12 corn tortillas
1/2 can fat-free refried beans
1 cup reduced-fat monterey jack or mexican style cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Grease a 9x13 pan. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the greased pan.
3. In a medium, microwave safe bowl, combine the shrimp, corn, green chiles and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. Mix together and heat in the microwave, covered, for 2 and a half minutes until warmed through.
4. Spread 1/2 a can of refried beans on 6 tortillas and layer them on the bottom of the greased, sauced pan. Spread the shrimp mixture on top of the refried beans. Cover with remaining 6 tortillas, and top with remaining cup of enchilada sauce.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, until sides bubble.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.






It's never as pretty on the plate....

No comments: