Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crockpot Honey Chicken

I know, it's been a while. It's the start of summer, which means we've been super busy with BBQs and camping and general summer life. Tomorrow, my summer vacation ends and summer school starts. As much as I love seeing my kiddos, I wish I could go back to having summers off like I did a few years ago.

With life going back to somewhat normal, it was time to get back in the kitchen and make a good home-cooked meal. Sundays are easily the best day for crockpot meals. I was able to sleep in, go grocery shopping and then throw the ingredients in and not have to worry about it for another 3-4 hours. Perfect.

This recipe, as the original recipe poster states, tastes just like the bourbon chicken you get in a mall food court. You know, the "sample sample" people that hand you chicken on a toothpick....yeah, that chicken. Next time I make this, I will use chicken breast, and pre-cut it into chunks before putting it in the crockpot. As flavorful as chicken thighs are, they just have too much fat and things that I prefer not to eat. I found myself "trimming" them and being left with half of what I started with. Then you're supposed to cut it into chunks after it cooks, but that was pretty difficult because it kept shredding. Also, use a decent amount of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. I used about 3 tablespoons and it didn't thicken up enough to my liking, I wanted a nice thick, sticky sauce to coat the chicken.



Crockpot Honey Chicken
from Table for Two

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 5 ( I used a family pack)
Salt and pepper
1 cup of honey
1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Cornstarch

Instructions:

  1. Place the chicken thighs in the crockpot insert and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine well. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot.
  3. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours.
  4. When done, remove chicken from stock pot and cut into chunks. Prior to putting the chicken back in the stockpot, combine some cornstarch in water and whisk it into the crockpot to thicken up the sauce a bit. Throw the chicken back in and stir around to recoat the chicken in the sauce.
  5. Serve hot over a bed of white rice (optional) and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

No comments: