Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sloppy Joe Bake

The original name for this dish was Sloppy Joe Squares. I almost made it into a pie, but then kept it in a casserole dish, therefore, I was going to call it a Sloppy Joe Casserole. BUT, it was totally encased in a crust, so I kept calling it a Sloppy Joe Thing. Dan then named it Sloppy Joe Roll, then Sloppyrole (as in sloppy joe casserole). We have yet to pick a name we really like, so for now, it's a Sloppy Joe Bake.

Sloppy Joes have never really appealed to me. As a child, I never ate burgers, sandwiches, or tomato sauce. I had my first spaghetti with sauce when I was 12, my first burger when I was 17, and the first sandwich I ever liked (other than PB & Fluff) was the Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich at Panera Bread when I was 19.

I basically lived off of fruits, veggies, pasta and seafood as a kid...very little meat. How I lived without it I don't know....

When you eat almost anything under the sun and enjoy making creative dishes, it's not always easy to live with a meat and potatoes guy. I'm glad I could add this dish to a list of dinner recipes that we can both enjoy that doesn't consist of steak tips, rice and corn.

Sloppy Joe Bake
from Betty Crocker (long lost relative??)

1 lb. lean ground beef
2 canisters Big & Buttery crescent rolls
1 can sloppy joe sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain. Add the sloppy joe sauce and bring to a slight boil for a couple of minutes.
3. Unroll a canister of crescent rolls and seal the edges together. Press into an ungreased 9x13 baking dish, pressing into the bottom and halfway up the sides. I had to tear off the end of the rolls and use pieces elsewhere to make it fit just right.
4. Pour the meat mixture over the rolls and top with shredded cheese.
5. Open the remaining crescent rolls and seal the edges. I took off two of the triangles and it fit just right on top of the meat and cheese. Try and seal up the top and bottom edges together as best you can.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the dough is golden and cooked through.



1 comment:

Jake48 said...

Looks really good...I am going to add to my collections of recipe's...