Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beef & Broccoli

I had to go to the store today to buy toilet paper, which I'm sure you wanted to know. I hadn't planned on buying anything but TP, but then I got thinking about the blog, and how I slack off a lot, so I remembered a recipe I saw and decided I was going to make my own version of it. I tried to remember the ingredients as best I could, and when I got home, I found out I had remembered them correctly. I forget things on my list, nevermind something I browsed over once....

I also realized we didn't have anything for dinner other than chicken patties and boxed mac & cheese. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love boxed mac & cheese, but I've eaten entirely too much pasta lately. I passed the meat section and saw the packages of stir-fry beef and grabbed one. Beef and broccoli it was.

I also realized (well I actually didn't JUST realize this, it's been known for a while), that I need to start shopping on a budget. Shaws is entirely too expensive and a quick shopping trip is never a cheap one. You should be able to buy about 10 items and not wince when the price comes up.

Luckily all I needed was the beef and broccoli for dinner, I had everything else. The other items were for the recipe I'm making tonight (to be posted tomorrow!), and some mangoes...because mangoes were on sale and are delicious.


Whenever I cook stir-fry beef, it always comes out too tough, no matter what heat it's at or how long I cook it. I don't get it. I can stir fry chicken or pork like a champion....ugh beef, why do you mess with me?

Beef & Broccoli
from Can You Stay for Dinner 

1 lb. beef for stir frying
1 lb. broccoli florets
3 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved into 1 tbsp water

For the beef marinade:
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (I had sherry)
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

For the sauce:
3 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. rice wine or sherry
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar

1. If you're making rice or noodles to serve this over, start them now. I made jasmine rice.
2. Blanch your broccoli florets. Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Boil the broccoli for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well and rinse under cold water. Rinsing under cold water stops the cooking process and keeps them crisp-tender so they won't mush up.
3. While the water is boiling, mix together the ingredient for the beef marinade. Add the beef and stir to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Heat the wok or a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add a couple drops of water, if they sizzle immediately and disappear the wok is ready. Add the sesame oil and swirl to coat pan.
5. Add the beef and spread out to a single layer. Let cook for one minute untouched. Flip the beef over and add the minced garlic. Let cook for another 30 second to a minute or until not longer pink.
6. Add sauce and add broccoli. Stir and bring to a boil for 30 seconds.
7. Add the cornstarch dissolved in water. Stir for another 30 seconds and let boil. Stir until sauce thickens a bit.
8. Serve over rice or noodles.

Ooooh sizzling beef!


No comments: