Sunday, April 14, 2013

Almost Poutine Grilled Cheese

Mind blown.

Life complete.

Seriously.

Back in June of 2003, I was freshly 18 and freshly graduated from high school. One of my best friends had moved here from Ottawa our sophomore year. We decided to go to Montreal, with her as our guide, and experience all it had to offer. By that, I mean the drinking age was 18, so we went to go legally drink in bars.

Our trip was great. We did some drinking (or a lot), shopping, and a lot of eating. That trip was my introduction to Poutine, one of the greatest dishes ever made. Now, I love fancy food and restaurants that eat up half my paycheck, but when it comes down to it, most of the food I love it so simple. And usually unhealthy.

Poutine is french fries, brown gravy and cheese curds. That's it. French fries with melted cheese curds and brown gravy on top. It's magical.

This month is National Grilled Cheese month, and I've been seeing grilled cheese recipes left and right. It reminds me of my hunt for the Grilled Cheese Truck last time I went to L.A. to see my brother. If you happen to be out that way, find out where they are and get a grilled cheese. Get the Cheesy Mac & Rib while you're at it, it's heaven. It's mac and cheese and pulled pork in a sandwich.


I saw the grilled cheese featured today on Foodgawker and knew I had to make it, and soon. One thing about poutine is, to have real poutine you must have cheese curds. Cheese curds are a staple in markets in Canada, but not as easily found out my way. I do know they sell them at a store a town over, but it's in a big shopping complex, with a Walmart and parking is terrible. And, it's Sunday, so the plaza will be even more crowded. I opted to substitute my cheese curds with mozzarella for today. When I get a chance, I will get cheese curds and make actual poutine, not a sandwich with it. Hence, this is almost poutine grilled cheese.

Almost Poutine Grilled Cheese
adapted from BS in the Kitchen 
makes 1 sandwich

2 slices bread
1 packet brown gravy (like McCormick's)
Frozen french fries (you only use 6-8 in the sandwich)
a handful of fresh mozzarella chunks
butter

1. Cook french fries according to package.
2. While fries are cooking, make the gravy according to the package.
3. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
4. Spread mozzarella chunks out evenly on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds. This warms them up and pre-melts them slightly. Mozzarella can be watery when packaged, so if they are watery after melting, apt them dry with a paper towel.
5. Spread some brown gravy on the other side of each bread slice. Top one gravy slice with french fries and mozzarella. Spoon a little more gravy on top. Place the other slice, gravy side down, on top.
6. Cook over medium heat in a skillet, butter sides to the pan, until golden and cooked.

One more time.

No comments: