Sunday, April 7, 2013

Homemade Egg McMuffin Sandwiches

I used to be a chronic Dunkin Donuts customer. Every morning before work, I would stop in and get my medium coffee and usually a breakfast sandwich of some sort. Before Christmas, I told myself I would stop going to Dunks every morning after the winter break. I have a Keurig in my classroom, so I can make coffee there. I ordered some k-cup packs on Amazon that were delivered over break to bring back to work. I saw this recipe/idea on Pinterest and figured it would be a great option for breakfast. I hate skipping breakfast, and I'm fortunate that my classroom is the old home economics room, so I have a kitchen right in the classroom. It makes it easier to bring breakfast items to work, such as milk for my cereal, fruit, oatmeal that I can heat in the microwave.

I haven't tried one of these sandwiches yet, I'll bring one with me to work tomorrow. Making them was so easy. The original site I got them from recommended using ramekins or a whoopie pie pan to bake the eggs in to help them fit on the English muffins better, but for starters I went with a regular muffin tin. I have ramekins, but didn't have room in the dishwasher for 6 ramekins and didn't want anymore dishes in the sink after I loaded up the washer. Next time, I'll use the ramekins for better size, because the eggs do come out smaller and thicker from the muffin tin. The original site also calls for making 12 at a time. I only made 6 for the week.

Homemade Egg McMuffin Sandwiches
from The Yummy Life

6 eggs
6 English muffins
6 pieces of Canadian bacon
6 slices cheese (I used the pre-sliced American that's individually wrapped...and super processed)

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 6 muffin tin cups (or ramekins or whoopie pie tins)
2. Crack an egg into each cup and add salt and pepper if desired. I chose to break the yolks, but you don't have to.
3.  Bake for 20 minutes. You can bake them for a shorter amount of time if you like your eggs a little less cooked, but 20 minutes cooks them thoroughly.
4. While baking, separate your English muffins. Top each muffin with a slice of cheese and a piece of Canadian bacon. I folded in the corner of the cheese to fit on the muffin so it didn't get squished when wrapping them.
5. Top with eggs when done and wrap. I used press and seal wrap, but you can use wax paper deli sheets or the individual pieces of foil wrap as well. Then place them in a freezer storage bag.
6. To re-heat, cook in the microwave on 1/2 power for 3 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Or, place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until heated through.

I've read many variations of this that you could add. You can also toast your English muffins before freezing. They will re-heat softer but have that toasted taste. I would also use better sliced cheese next time, but the processed kind was all I had for now.








No comments: