Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Crock Pot Carnitas

How do you turn this



Into this?


Unless shredded pork is smothered in BBQ sauce, I usually don't want much to do with it. It's all about flavor for me. Needless to say, when I thought of making carnitas (and yes, I know, this is not your traditional carnitas), it took me a long time to find a recipe that sounded like it would be flavorful enough. Not to mention I came across about 10 paleo recipes for pork in the crock pot. I don't follow any of those (what I consider) crazy food fads, so it was on to the next recipe.

Finally, I found one that seemed flavorful enough and quick enough to throw together, not to mention I already had all ingredients except for the pork.

I strayed only slightly from the recipe. I used 2 smaller roasts instead of one larger one. I also just used 1 can of chicken broth rather than 2 full cups. I kept all seasonings the same. When reading the reviews, a lot of people doubled or tripled the seasoning, or omitted the cinnamon. I think if you doubled the seasoning it might be a little too strong. And, the cinnamon was fine, some people seemed to notice it more than the other flavors, but I didn't agree with that opinion.

Crock Pot Carnitas
from All Recipes

2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 lbs pork shoulder or pork roast
1 can chicken broth

1. Place 2 bay leaves on the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Mix all seasoning together in a small bowl.
3. Place pork on top of bay leaves. Sprinkle seasonings all over pork.
4. Add the broth around the pork, trying not to rinse off any seasoning.
5. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low on 10 hours.
6. Shred and serve however.


No comments: