Monday, November 4, 2013

Turkey and Stuffing Rollups

It's November.

That means the holidays are upon as in a matter of days. Thanksgiving is coming. I am welcoming of Thanksgiving. I absolutely love to browse Thanksgiving recipes, but the thought of hosting Thanksgiving at my home scares me. I love to cook, but not under pressure. And making a turkey? I have such a fear that it will dry as a bone. Luckily, Dan and I go to both our families for Thanksgiving, so I get limited to side dishes and desserts to make. I'm good with that.

This meal kicks off my November dinners, and what better to meal to make than a sort of Thanksgiving supper? It has the flavors of Thanksgiving with the ease of a weeknight meal on your table with minimal work. I used some nice thick-cut deli turkey, boxed stuffing and boxed mash potatoes. I was in the kitchen for maybe 10 minutes. Of course, you can always make your own stuffing and some homemade sides, which would always be better, but for a Monday night, 10 minutes in the kitchen is okay with me. I chose an oven roasted style deli turkey, but you could spice things up with some flavored turkey, like honey maple turkey, which I buy for my sandwiches. I bet that with some cornbread stuffing would be divine. A little sweeter hint to it than the traditional. I found that getting 1 pound of the turkey meat sliced thick was exactly the perfect amount. I had two big spoonfuls of stuffing leftover, which I promptly ate...

Oh, and don't forget the gravy. I used a jarred turkey gravy, but you can always make your own. Homemade is always better if you want to put in the time.

Turkey and Stuffing Rollups
from Mommy's Kitchen

1 lb. thick-sliced deli turkey
1 box stuffing mix, prepared according to box directions
1 jar turkey gravy

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
2. Place a large spoonful of stuffing onto a slice of turkey and roll up. Place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat with remaining turkey slices and stuffing.
3. Cover with gravy.
4. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly.

Serve with sides of your choice.








No comments: