Thursday, November 21, 2013

Honey and Beer Chicken


 No, this picture does not signal a rough day or a drinking problem. It signals that my dinner recipe called for beer, I went to get a bottle of pale ale, and of course, had to try others I saw. Variety is the spice of life, right? I am no beer connoisseur. I drink Bud Select 55. The lightest (and what most say is the most tasteless) beer. "Taste's like tinted water" they say. Eh, I enjoy it. It had 55 calories and has the same effects on me as any other beer does. If I go for a fancier beer, I like pale ales and fruity beers. I've been into the Curious Traveler Strawberry Shandy lately, even though summer is over...

I did a taste-testing of all three, just be sure I chose the right one for the recipe. And yes, we own shot glasses and drink glasses, but they're still packed up from the move with no room in the liquor cabinet for them. So, my little measuring shot glass had to do. Don't judge.

Sam Adams Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout

Sam Adams is a maker I don't usually prefer. I've tried so many varieties, and have never found one that I would ever ask for a second bottle of. When I grabbed this bottle, I almost didn't notice that it was Sam Adams. I also started to re-think if I should buy it or not, since I never really like Sam Adams. But, it's the fall, and it's a gingerbread stout, so why not? It has a nice dark color and a slight (and bitter) hint of gingerbread in my opinion. It also left a lingering aftertaste that left me immediately wanting to cleanse my palate. I'm not a big fan of stouts to begin with (remember, Select 55?), unless it's used in my stout gravy for my shepherd's pie. Which by the way, I will be making this weekend just so I can use this in the gravy. 

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Hazelnut is not something often found on bottles of beer, so obviously I chose it. It has a nice dark tint, but wasn't as bitter as I was expecting. It had a nice hint of sweetness with a great smooth nutty malt flavor. As far as a darker beer goes, I could drink this. I could also use this in a cupcake recipe. The gears are already turning....

Berkshire Brewing Company Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale
Here's the pale ale I went looking for in the first place. It was nice and light. You could definitely taste the hops, but it wasn't overwhelming like a lot of extra pale ales. This one won the vote for tonight's dinner. Good thing I already plans for the other two bottles. That is, if Dan doesn't get to them before I can use them.

Honey and Beer Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 tbsp canola oil
1 small shallot, sliced
1/2 cup beer (whatever kind you prefer)
2 tbsp soy sauce 
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey

1. Season chicken with some salt and pepper.
2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl. Add chicken and cook for 6 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove from pan and keep warm.
3. Add shallot. Cook for 2 minutes. 
4. Combine beer, soy sauce, mustard and honey and whisk together. Add to the pan.
5. Scrape the pan to scrape up those brown burnt bits that are there. Let the liquid boil until it reduces down to about a 1/2 cup.
6. Return chicken to pan and turn over to coat with sauce.





This recipe was delicious. The second you whisk up the beer, soy sauce, mustard and honey you can just smell how good it will be. I recommend only one tablespoon of soy sauce though, it was a bit salty for me. I love a good and easy chicken recipe.

Now, I'm off to go watch my cousin who's in the local high school production of Les Miserables. She plays a prostitute. Yep, my 17 year-old (baby) cousin is playing a prostitute. The good thing is, the high school's theater program is amazing and gives Broadway a run for its money. 




No comments: