Thursday, November 28, 2013

Banana Caramel Cupcakes

Happy Thanksgiving!

There's something about the holidays that just wipes me out. And no, it's not the tryptophan. Dan and I are fortunate that we can spend the holidays with both of our families, since we all live about 10-15 minutes apart. But, that's double the food and double the energy, which makes for a long day.

My prepping started yesterday when I started making a pumpkin ginger cheesecake. Water from the water bath got into the pan and sort of ruined the crust. Everything else baked up nicely, but I think I'll try making it again before I post about it. The flavors were great, but the crust was just a big ginger mush. Then, today, I got up at 8 and started the cupcakes. This recipe was great for today because it only made 16 cupcakes, and I had everything for it except for butterscotch chips and caramel. I even had the bananas, I didn't even have to choose this recipe because I had bananas, I wanted to make these and it just so happened I had bananas. It was easy and quick, since I modified it and made a basic buttercream, but my buttercream ended up being super thick. It was so thick my hands hurt trying to ice them. I was happy to have this recipe go smoothly...

...until during transport when the case got bumped and turned over almost all of the cupcakes.....

I guess Thanksgiving wasn't my holiday for baking this year. My cheesy potatoes that I always make for family occasions came out great, but that's a no-brainer.

Banana Caramel Cupcakes
adapted from Susi's Kuchen und Backen Adventures

1 and 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup butterscotch chips


1 and 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, room temp
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp. heavy cream
1/3 cup caramel sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 16 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the mashed banana, vanilla and buttermilk.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, fully mixing in each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
6. Add the flour mix in two batches, alternating with the banana mix. Mix until fully combined.
7. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
8. Divide evenly into liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Let cool.
10. To prepare the frosting, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, with the mixer on low. After a cup or two, add vanilla and 2 tbsp heavy cream. Add more powdered sugar and add more heavy cream. Add in the caramel sauce and mix until combined. If you want your frosting smoother, add more heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency. 
11. Frost cupcakes and drizzle with extra caramel sauce.

The cupcakes came out very moist and sticky, and were hard to peel the liners off of, but they were delicious. I think next time I would make a different banana cake that is lighter and not so much banana bread like.



No comments: