Monday, December 2, 2013

Quick & Easy Stromboli

Returning to work after an extra long weekend is always a long day. Not only had I gotten used to sleeping in a bit later, but work just never stops, so it's just jumping right back into it. A fun and interesting tidbit is that I got a new car this weekend! As fun as new cars are, I always forget what a process it is. Four hours at the dealership, then having to go back today for the inspection, only to find out they messed up my registration, so I have to go back again later this week.  I also had a meeting after work, so I didn't get to the dealership until later. Luckily, since they couldn't do the inspection, I was able to beat some traffic home, or to the grocery store. I also hadn't planned a grocery list for this week, so I had to wing it in the store, which can be dangerous! I settled on making some strombolis for dinner, quick and easy for a long day and rushed afternoon.

There's no real recipe for stromboli. You can get fancy and time-consuming if you want to make your own dough. I stayed simple and quick by buying canned dough and throwing on some easy toppings. I decided to use some shredded steak, bacon, ham, and pepperoni for Dan's (carnivore all the way). For mine, I made it with some steak, bacon, ham, pineapple and some teriyaki sauce. It's sort of my stromboli version of my favorite steak and cheese, which has peppers, onions, ham and teriyaki sauce. Below is what I used to make them, with some brief directions.

1 lb. shredded steak, cooked
6 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked
4 slices deli ham, chopped
10 pepperonis, cut into fourths
1 small can pineapple chunks, cut in half
1/4 teriyaki sauce
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice
2 can pizza dough (such as Pillsbury)
Italian seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 425. If you want to add teriyaki sauce (or another flavoring), mix it in with your ingredients in a small bowl. I mixed my steak, bacon and ham with the sauce.
2. Spread out 1 pizza crust on a clean surface. Spread 1 cup of cheese over dough.
3. Top with desired toppings. Roll up and place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
4. Repeat with other crust and toppings.
5. Sprinkle rolled up crusts with Italian seasoning and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and dough is cooked through.



No comments: