Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Garlic Parmesan Shrimp

The week before the holidays never goes smoothly. Let's look at today, for example. Half day for students, which was great, professional development for me, not so great. Then, the snow starts falling. I head out of work, tackle the grocery store, and realize I left my phone on my desk. Back to the school I go, behind cars that were driving a little too slow for the small amount of snow that we had so far. As I get out of my car at the school, half of the heel to my boot detaches from the sole...awesome. I get home, relax for a bit, then decide to get to it for dinner. I bought some peel and eat shrimp because they were on sale (I always buy already peeled shrimp). Yeah, never again will I buy them, sale or no sale. It took me forever to peel them! Then, Lana decided to jump up to the kitchen counter, steal the paper towels and shred them all over the living room. She also ran and jumped up onto the counter, as in hind legs were up there and promptly fell back to the floor. Every low was placed up high on the counters so she can't get to them. Guess we'll have to start taping stuff to the ceiling...

The real downside to today (aside from those smaller annoyances) was that Dan's grandfather passed away. While death can sometimes be a blessing, it still sucks. Dan and I decided to go over to his Nana's. This dinner (though fully made) was put on hold for some late-night eating. We did get to enjoy some of Dan's aunt's delicious meatloaf though. I am not one for meatloaf, ever, but this one was really good. It was thick as a brick, it was tender and the barbecue sauce was a great addition!

We have just returned (I started this post 5 hours ago) and I shoveled off the walkways and stairs. Dan is finishing up the last of the snow blowing. I think I will try a little of my shrimp (so I can actually give it a review) and then it's off to bed.

These shrimp were great! I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that they sat in butter for a while (since we didn't eat them right away), or if it's because I bought frozen raw shrimp instead of cooked (my usual freezer staple), but they were super moist and plump. You know when you bite into a shrimp and it's juicy and sort of "pops"? All the butter and garlic and Parmesan flavor really came through. I had mine over some jasmine rice with some steamed veggies, but they would be great over pasta as well.

Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
slightly adapted from Homerun Meals

24 or so large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
tsp dried parsley
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup breadcrumbs mixed with 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning or Italian breadcrumbs

1. Preheat oven to 300.
2. In a large Ziploc bag, combine the shrimp, oil, garlic, parsley and red pepper. Close and shake to coat shrimp. Pour shrimp into an 11x7 pan and spread out evenly.
3. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Turn shrimp over and drizzle on butter. Cover with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake, uncovered for another 10 minutes.
4. Serve how you please!


No comments: