Saturday, December 28, 2013

Revised Cheesy Potatoes

This is a re-post of sorts. Over a year ago, I found a recipe for some cheesy potatoes that I made for a family party. They ended up being such a big hit, that I have to make them for every family party. I have now introduced them to Dan's family as well. Since the first time, I have changed them slightly. Yesterday we celebrated Christmas with Dan's family, and his sister requested I make some, and since they're so easy to make, I was happy to do so. The original recipe was shredded hash brown potatoes, sour cream, cream of potato soup, Parmesan cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. I have since added in some ranch dip mix to the ingredients. Then, yesterday, I decided to change it up even more. One change was on purpose, the other was not. The first was adding a can of cheddar soup in place of one of the cans of cream of potato. It added more cheesiness and made the potatoes creamier, which I thought was much better. The second, the unplanned change, was that the store was out of hash brown potatoes. I finally found a different brand (I think a more healthy brand?), either way it was much more expensive, but I needed it so I grabbed it. When I got home, I realized that these potatoes were seasoned with garlic and onion flavoring. That added even more flavor, and from now on, I will choose those potatoes over the regular plain ones I buy. So, here's what the recipe is now

1 (30 oz) bag hash brown shredded potatoes
1 (16 oz) container sour cream
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 packet ranch dip mix
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together and bake in a 9x13 pan for 1 hour and 30 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for an extra 10-15 to get it nice and bubbly and browned.

No comments: