Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Raspberry Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

So, let's start with a positive and say Merry Christmas to everyone! I am currently at my parents' house, and 4 out of the 5 people here are using some piece of technology. That's kind of sad, but I have a little time to kill. Everyone else is setting up new gifts. Dan got a work radio where you can hook up an MP3 player and charge a whole bunch of batteries. My brother is setting up my mom's new Chromebook, and my mom is sending pictures of my brother and my dog Tess to his girlfriend. All while my dad watches some Animal Planet show about sea creatures. This is Christmas at my parents'. Next up is Christmas at my Gram's. Another round of family madness and lots of food. Then, its off to Dan's aunt's for round 3. That's where the cupcakes come in.

These didn't come out as planned. I already know how I would change it if I make them again. They're still really good and everything, just not what I wanted them to be. I think next time, I'll skip using fresh raspberries and stick with an extract or use raspberry gelatin in the marshmallow filling. The marshmallow filling I ended up with was pretty runny, and ended up soaking into the cake which then just soaked to the bottom, so the bottoms of these are basically soaked in raspberry juice. Then, they're topped with a fresh raspberry whipped cream, which is really good. I think next time I would make a more traditional marshmallow cream with marshmallow and butter. Or, I would do a chocolate raspberry ganache with a raspberry marshmallow flavored whipped cream topping. Why don't I think of these things before hand? Below and the original recipe. The difference I did was that I didn't strain the raspberries, just mashed and mixed them in, which may have accounted for the runny texture. The only change I made was that I added some raspberry extract to my frosting.

Raspberry Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream
Adapted from Your Cup of Cake

1 box Devil's Food cake
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 muffin pans with liners.Combine eggs through sour cream in the bowl of a stand mixer using the stir setting. Mix until combined. Add the cake mix, and sift it if you want to get rid of the lumps. Stir until combined. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

1 jar marshmallow cream
1 pint raspberry mashed and strained
1 cup powdered sugar

2. Combine everything in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until combined. Cut out a piece of cupcake from the center of each cake and fill with marshmallow cream.

1 pint whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tsp. raspberry gelatin
If you have it, 1/4 tsp raspberry extract

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attached, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and gelatin and mix slowly until everything is combined. Add the extract if using and give another quick mix. Frost cupcakes as desired.

I decorated mine with chocolate sprinkles and mini marshmallows.



No comments: