Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Apple Kielbasa

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!

I love the holidays, but even the thought of the holidays stresses me. I never get my shopping done early, my recipe plans change every day the two weeks leading up to Christmas, and just the whirlwind that is Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. This year we are especially busy. Last night, we had my future mother in-law's birthday dinner, then today is Christmas Eve, which consisted of prepping my recipes (2 of which already have not come out to plan...), and making sure all gifts are bought and wrapped. Tomorrow is Christmas Day, which sees Dan and I waking up here and exchanging presents with the pups (they got more than we did), prepping food, heading to my parents' for gifts there, then to my grandmother's for lunch and gifts and then to Dan's aunt's for more gifts and more food. Then Thursday is the service for his grandfather, and then Friday we celebrate Christmas with Dan's immediate family. And then it's a few days off and then New Years Eve. See, I'm stressing just thinking about it.

Here's one recipe that did turn out alright. For Christmas Eve at my Gram's we have a smorgasbord of foods to pick at. I figured I'd bring a couple things to munch on. One being Monte Cristo bites (did not work as planned but still okay), and two being this kielbasa. I wanted something easy while I baked and finished wrapping. This came out really good. I couldn't find the Dijon mustard in the fridge, finally saw it about 20 minutes ago! I used some honey mustard instead. I was a little worried that this would come out really sweet, but the kielbasa balances it right out. A perfect party snack! And it really is this easy. Don't mind the liners, though not incredibly attractive, it saves from some serious dish washing in the end. Plus, if anyone comments on the unattractiveness of the liner, slap their hand away from your food. You and your kielbasa don't need their judgment!

Kielbasa

And brown sugar

And some apple sauce

And honey mustard and garlic

Cooked on low for 6 hours!


Apple Kielbasa
adapted from Busy Cooks

3 kielbasa links, sliced
1 (24 oz) jar chunky apple sauce (I used about 3/4 of it)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. honey mustard
about 4 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 big spoonfuls of jarred minced garlic)

Place everything in the crock pot and cook on low for about 6 hours!

No comments: