Thursday, December 12, 2013

Gingerbread Fudge

I'm actually surprised that I've never made fudge before. I've always looked for easy-to-make desserts, and fudge is just something that I always look over. Maybe it's because I don't find fudge as pretty or fancy as a cake or cupcake. I also can eat a piece of fudge the size of a penny and be satisfied for months, so it's not a dessert I go for if I see it. I'm trying to branch out my dessert repertoire, so I figured I'd try out some fudge. I started with this recipe, which was the easiest I could find.

I even got a few people to sample some tonight, and everyone agreed - it was delicious. My only issue (and it's one I even premeditated) was the white chocolate chips I used never fully melted, so there were some tiny pieces of white chocolate speckled through the fudge. Everyone else liked that about it, I didn't. When I was at the store grabbing white chocolate, I was debating between regular chips, a better brand of chips, or some white baker's chocolate. The baker's chocolate was not the economical choice with the amount I needed, so I grabbed the standard chips. Next time I'll try melting them differently or use better chocolate.

Gingerbread Fudge
from Sweet 2 Eat Baking

12 oz white chocolate, chopped (or chips)
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

1. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with foil.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the white chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. Heat for 2-3 minutes (in 30 second increments) until white chocolate is almost fully melted, mixing between each heating.
3. Mix in spices immediately and keep mixing to get everything combined and smooth.
4. Pour into the prepared pan and let it set, either at room temp or in the fridge. Our house is cool enough that I could let it set at room temp. It was ready to serve in 4 hours.



No comments: