Monday, April 14, 2014

Alfredo Chicken Pot Pie

Just like when I was a student, now as a teacher, I still count down the days until vacation. Three and a half to go!

The two weeks leading up to vacation (especially April vacation) are always hellish. Between massive boatloads of school work to do (Progress Reports, Re-Evaluation Reports, and testing), I now have my Educator Evaluation Portfolio to submit. I used to think it was great that Massachusetts was ahead of the curve with education, and that my school especially was at the top, but now, not so sure. There are so many mandated things in place, I'm not sure the students are actually learning anything, or that I'm actually teaching anything.

BUT, this blog is not to rant about work. It's to rant about food, or rave about food, or at least be food-related. Sometimes, yes, I go on tangents. And sometimes, the tangents are okay. Work tangents are not okay. But the tangent I'm about to go on might be...

I have come to the conclusion that I have leisure-based ADHD. My free time activities include multi-tasking. Like right now for example. I am blogging, Pinterest-ing, and watching Django Unchained. All at the same time. Leisure-based ADHD. Self-diagnosed.

And I'm also waiting for my house to blow away in this crazy wind we're getting. Good thing Dan was able to grill dinner before it got crazy. What did he grill? Good question. No, he didn't grill a chicken pot pie. This recipe is last night's dinner. He grilled V-E-N-I-S-O-N. Yes, venison. Venison tenderloin, shaved venison steak, and we still have some venison sausage to cook at a later date. Served up with some vermicelli-rice mix and my tummy is one happy tummy. My tummy was happy last night with the pot pie. And the best part? DAN LIKES THIS POT PIE. He loved it, and...IT EVEN HAD PEAS IN IT. I can now make a pot pie that Dan will eat, which is a good thing, because I love me some pot pie. I even more so love a pot pie that can be made in under an hour. Well, if you have pre-cooked chicken.

Alfredo Chicken Pot Pie
adapted from Better Homes and Garden

1 and 1/4 cup Alfredo or cheese sauce (I had a Parmesan cheese sauce)
1 (9 oz) pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
canned pizza dough
2 tbsp. milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Grease a 2-qt square baking dish. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, stir together the Alfredo sauce, vegetables and thyme. Heat and stir until just boiling. Add in the chicken and shredded Italian cheeses; heat through. Transfer to the baking dish.
3. Stretch the canned pizza dough over the dish. Remove excess dough and push edges into the dish.
4. Brush dough with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for about 20 minutes before serving.


No comments: