Monday, April 21, 2014

Garlic Tex-Mex Shredded Beef

This is a recipe I made last week. I wasn't going to post it because I wasn't fully happy with it. It was sort of a spin-off of a recipe I saw in a magazine. The original was a spicier Tex-Mex beef, which I knew Dan wouldn't eat. So, I figured when I was at the store, I'd figure out some sort of seasoning mix that would work. In the aisle of the seasoning packets, amongst the masses of McCormick's items, there was this garlicky shrimp taco seasoning packet. Now, I just spent to some time Googling this to find out the exact name of what I bought, but couldn't find it. Therefore, my recipe below isn't 100% precise, but I think it should be tweaked anyways. That gives you the pleasure of hunting down your own seasoning for this.

The recipe is pretty basic. Toss everything in the crock pot in the morning, then eat it when you come home at night. Other than shredding the beef, there's no work needed. I cooked my peppers and onions separately, because I knew Dan wouldn't want to pick them all out of his. If you want to cook them with the beef in the crock pot just throw some sliced green (or any color) peppers and a sliced onion around the roast and cook with it.

Garlic Tex-Mex Shredded Beef
based off of a recipe seen in Better Homes and Garden (maybe?)

1 (3lb) beef roast, I had a top round roast
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup beef broth
1 envelope of seasoning (taco, fajita, burrito, the mysterious garlic shrimp taco seasoning...?)

for serving:
tortillas or rolls
shredded Mexican-style cheese
any additional toppings you'd like

1. Rub the seasoning over the roast and place in a crock pot. Surround with veggies if desired.
2. Combine the ketchup and broth and pour over roast.
3. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Shred and serve!

I had mine with shredded cheese, peppers and onions and wrapped in a tortilla.

No comments: