Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Sausage and Ravioli Lasagna

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store twice. Well not the same one, but two different ones. The first store didn't have ground sausage, which I needed, I stopped at another on the way home. I also grabbed a couple of things I forgot about. Oh wait, I did go to the same one twice. In all, I made three grocery trips yesterday. After my morning shopping, I got home only to realize I forgot to buy ricotta cheese. Who plans a lasagna and forgets the ricotta? In two different grocery stores? I do. So, after a three mile walk last night I stopped, yet again, to get the much needed ricotta so I could make last night's dinner today. I of course planned another recipe while I was at the store, so I got more than ricotta, which at least made the trip well worth it.

Since it's vacation week, I was able to make this ahead of time today. An early dinner was needed so Dan could eat before going to a side job. Early dinners aren't so great for me though, because then I'll be hungry in a few hours. That's ok though, I can always eat some Crème Brulee Muffins, or what's currently chilling in my fridge...

What's chilling in my fridge? Some mini cheesecakes! Didn't you know? It's National Cherry Cheesecake day! Okay, so maybe I'm the only person who knows that, well aside from other bakers and food bloggers. That post will come later once they are fully assembled.

Back to lasagna though. Not only did the first store not have ground sausage (which I have to use because breaking up regular sausage leaves it too chunky for me) (I know, I'm picky), but the next one only had ground hot Italian sausage. I wanted mild, not too much a fan of the hot. But, the good news is that the hot worked really well in this recipe. Since it was ground and broken up, it was decently spread out throughout the lasagna and not too overpowering. It gave a different element to the flavor that was surprisingly (to me) great. If I had read a recipe that called for hot Italian sausage, it would make sense, but I probably would have skipped over it. I'm glad I opted for the hot version.

Sausage and Ravioli Lasagna
adapted from Taste of Home

1 pkg. frozen cheese ravioli
1 pkg. ground sausage
1 (15 oz) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. dried basil
1 jar marinara sauce (or any sauce you like)
2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare ravioli according to package directions and drain. Cook sausage until browned and longer pink, drain.
2. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, egg and seasonings.
3. Spread about a cup of sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. Place a layer of ravioli on top of the sauce. Spread half the sausage over the ravioli.
4. Spread all of the ricotta mixture over the sausage and spread 1 cup of sauce over the ricotta.
5. Repeat with another layer of ravioli, remaining sausage and sauce. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments: