Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Kahlua Caramelized Banana S'More Bread

Let's talk longest week of work ever. Let's talk having an emergency dismissal today due to a bomb threat at the school. Luckily, that's all it was, a threat. While that's not how I want to leave work, it did give me time to run some errands and I brought work stuff home with me to do, so that was a plus. I did end up getting some time in to bake, which I was planning on doing anyways.

Boy, am I glad I did! This bread is unreal. I love me a good banana bread, and purposely "waste" bananas by not eating them so I can make banana bread. I know, that's not wasting, but I still never like browning bananas on the counter. So banana bread is good. And everyone knows Kahlua is good. And everyone loves s'mores, right? So, imagine having all these great things in one loaf. Seriously, whoever came up with this is a genius and I want their creativity.

I'll settle for their recipe though!

Even though it's an extra step, caramelizing anything is so easy. It makes it that much better that they have Kahlua in them too. This bread has so many elements of flavor to, but they all work perfectly together.

Kahlua Caramelized Banana S'More Bread
from Bakery by Nature

for the bananas:

3 ripe banana, sliced thin
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup Kahlua
2 tbsp. flour

for the bread:

1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temp
1 and 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup mini marshmallows*
1 cup chopped graham crackers

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a large loaf pan.
2. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until completed melted. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Add bananas and cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, whisk in Kahlua and stir in flour.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the melted butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix on lowest setting and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time beating between additions.
4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the wet mix and fold in, just until combined.
5. Fold in sour cream and bananas.
6. Stir in 3/4 of the chocolate marshmallows and graham crackers.
7. Pour into greased pan and bake for 45 minutes.
8. Remove from oven (it will not be done!) and sprinkle the remaining s'more pieces on top. Return to oven for another 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

**I had large marshmallows already, which I cut. If you cut large marshmallows, use CLEAN scissors dipped in cold water to prevent them from sticking to the scissor. Dip in cold water between cuts.

 




Can you see the bits and pieces of chocolate and graham crackers??

No comments: