Monday, July 14, 2014

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

I am anxiously (excitedly) awaiting the possible thunderstorms we are supposed to be getting. Twenty minutes into my cupcake adventure yesterday I discovered our AC was broken. It freezes up quite often, so I assumed that was the case. Ok, so I didn't discover it was broken, but I knew it wasn't working and assumed it had frozen. Dan discovered it was broken when he got home. That put quite a damper on my cupcakes. I was nervous about trying to frost them today since it's 82 degrees in the house right now. I was fortunate enough that the frosting held its own, so I could easily pipe it and then pop the cakes in the fridge.

So now, the cakes are cooling and me and the dogs are sprawled out in front of the fans. I haven't lived without central air for 14 years (I know, I'm spoiled), so while my whining is probably obnoxious to those without AC, I don't care. It's gross in here. You know what else is gross? The electric bill because of the AC.

I really want to get back into cupcakes and baking again. It's been far too long. I was looking for something summery and perhaps fruity. With the heat lately, the thought of a heavy chocolate cake wasn't doing it for me. I almost went with a lemonade cupcake, but then this key lime pie cupcake caught my eye. I had saved this recipe maybe 3 years ago. I know, most people find a recipe they like and make it shortly after. But I find and save hundreds of recipes, so some just end up getting pushed to the back (er, bottom if it's Pinterest). I wrestled with choosing this recipe because dealing with key limes can be a pain. I made a Key Lime Habanero Cheesecake 3 summer ago, and juicing key limes is a total drag. They're tiny and it takes a whole bag full to get even 6 ounces of juice. Seriously. But, I went for it anyways.

 

 


 

 
26 key limes later....
So there are a couple of things you can do ahead of time to make the process a little smoother. First, juice the limes ahead of time, you can always save the juice. Then, make the filling at least 2 hours ahead of time. I overlooked that when you make it, it has to chill for at least 2 hours. The you can bake the cakes, fill them when cooled and get right to the frosting. I made mine a 2-day process. These are great. The filling is pretty tart, so they go well with the sweetness of the frosting. The cakes were interesting. Maybe I did something wrong but quite a few came out pulling away from the liners and the tops were very sticky. The insides however, were light and fluffy. I'll have to work on perfecting that. They remind me of my margarita cupcakes, minus the booze.

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody

For the juice for the filling and frosting:
1 bag key limes

For the filling:
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
5 oz. key lime juice
9 oz. sweetened condensed milk

For the cakes:
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
1/8 cup sugar
2 and 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1.5 cups sugar
2 egg whites
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp. lime zest

For the frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
6-8 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tbsp. key lime juice

Extra graham cracker crumbs for decorating

1. Start by juicing the limes. You want about 6 ounces of lime juice out of them. Also, zest a couple so you get a tablespoon of zest. Set aside juice and zest.
2. Make the filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the mascarpone until fluffy. Add the key lime juice and sweetened condensed milk and beat for 2 minutes until mixed and fluffy. Chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Make the cakes: In a food processor combine 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, 3 tbsp. melted butter and 1/8 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of 24 cupcake liners in pans. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg whites and eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk and vanilla. Add the dry mix to the butter and sugar, alternating with the milk (dry, milk, dry, milk, dry). Beat well and scrape down sides if needed. Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners on top of the graham cracker crust. I used a ice cream scoop. Don't over-fill or they overflow when baking!
4. Let cupcakes cool. Cut out the centers and fill with key lime filling.
5. Make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, 4 cups of powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons lime juice. Add more sugar, 1 cup at a time until you reach the desired consistently. If it is too thick, add more lime juice.
6. Frost and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.








No comments: