Friday, July 18, 2014

Lemon Chiffon White Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

I said I wanted to get back into baking, so two cupcakes in one week is a pretty good start! Now that our AC is back up and running, I can finally turn the oven on. Baking when your house is 87 degrees is not fun. Yesterday, I decided I was going to bake again, but I was planning for this weekend. I went through my recipes and got really, really indecisive. So, how did I cure my indecisiveness? I write down each cupcake name on a slip of paper and put them into a bag and picked one.

Seriously.

There were a couple that were really time intensive, so I was sort of crossing my fingers that I didn't pick one of those. This recipe was actually pretty easy. It was easy enough, that I decided right then and there that I was going to bake them yesterday. I had to run to the store for lemon extract, cake flour, and white chocolate. Because it was late in the afternoon when I decided to make these, I tried to speed up the process a little. The only way I did that was just by placing a fan next to my cooling cupcakes to help them cool faster so I could move onto the chocolate dipping and frosting. This frosting was a little softer than I wanted, I did about 5 cups of powdered sugar instead of the 6 it called for. I often times find the amount listed in a recipe is too much. Especially when the recipe said to use some cream to thin it out a bit. This frosting also has shortening in it, which I despise working with. As I was frosting these, Lana tried to jump at me, which caused me to shatter the glass I was using to hold my piping bag. So, with frosting all over my hand I had to grab her, remove her from the kitchen and clean up shattered pieces of glass all over the floor. There ere shortening streaks all over our broom, a few doorknobs, and some on Lana. Shortening is the worst to clean, it just stays greased over everything. I was finally able to finish these and share them with some friends last night. This recipe doesn't call for the white chocolate, but I've included it below if you want to dip yours in chocolate like I did.

Lemon Chiffon White Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
adapted from Mini Baker

1.5 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 and 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large egg whites
yellow food coloring if desired (I used about 6 drops for my light yellow tint)

1 (4oz) package white chocolate baking squares
1/4 cup heavy cream

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. raspberry extract
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves
6 cups powdered sugar
a few tablespoons of heavy cream
red food coloring if desired (did not use)

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line about 20 spaces in your muffins pans.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the lemon and vanilla extracts and beat.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In another small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and eggs.
5. Add the flour mix to the butter and sugar, alternating with the buttermilk mix. You should start with flour and end with buttermilk.
6. Add the food coloring if using. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat until everything is well mixed.
7. Fill each cupcake liner just over 1/2 full and bake 18-22 minutes. Let cool.
8. For the white chocolate, place the chocolate pieces and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments until warm enough to mix together until smooth. White chocolate burns easily, so heat slowly!
9. Dip each cooled cupcake into the white chocolate. Let sit at room temp for a bit to harden up, or place in the refrigerator to speed up the process. I put mine in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
10. for the frosting, beat the butter and shortening together. Add the extracts and preserves and beat until fully combined. Add the sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each addition. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add cream if needed to soften it a bit and add food coloring if using.
11. Frost your cupcakes and serve!

I topped mine with pink and white sugar pearls.





No comments: