Monday, December 27, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie Penne

I think I can officially wish everyone a Merry Christmas finally, now that I'm ready to post about the food I made for Christmas. I hope Santa was good to everyone. I got a lot of kitchen things that I'm very happy about. I got my dessert plates and measuring cups from Anthropologie that I wanted. I also got a grill pan, a pizza stone, a 12" bamboo steamer, new mixing spoons, a big glass mixing bowl, some spices, a new oven mitt, 2 cookbooks, some dish towels, and I think that's it for the kitchen items.

Christmas Eve is always a big deal in my family. We go to my grandmother's where she makes potato pancakes that you can eat with butter, or mayonnaise, or salmon. Basically, it's not healthy eating. I contributed to unhealthiness by making Chicken Pot Pie Penne.

Chicken Pot Pie Penne
from here

2 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
10 oz. white or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup half & half or heavy cream
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded into bite sized pieces
1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh minced thyme
1-2 cups whole wheat dry penne pasta (or any pasta)

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. When done, place in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over med-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms in the skillet until golden brown.
3. Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture in the skillet and stir. Cook for a few seconds to rid the floury smell and then add the broth, half & half (or cream) to the skillet. Deglaze the skillet, scraping up any bits of fond at the bottom of the skillet. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid is slightly thickened.
4. Add the chicken, frozen peas and carrots, lemon juice and thyme to the skillet. Cook until heated through and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the hot penne pasta into the skillet and toss to combine.


This is the only recent food item I have a picture of. I was so busy with everything that pictures never really crossed my mind. I also added more pasta than the recipe called for. The pasta should be creamier, similar to the inside of a pot pie, all covered with gravy.

No comments: