Wednesday, December 1, 2010

French Onion Mac & Cheese

Oh gruyere, you've done it again! I used up my leftover gruyere to make some French Onion Mac & Cheese. I don't even know what to say about this dish, other than it's delicious and I have an absurd amount of leftovers. I got it from Rachel Ray's magazine when Mum was purging them. It's part of my mac & cheese recipe collection. I have some great variations on the classic dish, and this one lived up to my mac & cheese expectations.

Gruyere & Smoked Guyere!


A really handy tool that I have that made this more fun (at least I think it's fun...) is my Ikea shredder bowl. It comes with two shredder tops, one regular and one more grated and two bowls with covers for shredding and storing leftovers. Ikea, you truly are the Disneyland for adults who love homegoods.

$4 (for a set of 2!)

It does such wonderful things!

I need to work on photography skills.....


French Onion Mac & Cheese
from Everyday with Rachel Ray

4 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, very thinly sliced
1 tsp ground thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1 lb. penne rigate or whole wheat penne rigate
2 tbsp flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup whole milk
freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 lb. gruyere, shredded

1. In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, thyme and bay leaf for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat and cook until the onions are browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and discard the bay leaf. Reserve the skillet.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
3. In the reserved skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Bring to a boil; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Lower heat and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
4. Combine onions and sauce with the pasta and toss well.

1 comment:

Aunt Marea said...

this sounds to die for loveyMMMMMMM