Monday, December 27, 2010

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

I have not been a good blogger....but I have a good excuse. The holidays are such a crazy time. I did do some cooking, but I cut back a little due to various Christmas parties and activities that had food there and eating more of other people's cooking. On the 18th, we had a yankee swap at the bar and I made Tortilla and Black Bean Pie. Actually I made three of them.

I adapted the recipe a little to suit my needs. It is regularly a meatless dish, but I added some ground hamburg with some taco seasoning to it, as the crowd was more meat-eaters. I also didn't make it in a springform pan, which is why I made three. I used regular disposable pie pans which are not as deep as a springform, so the 8 layers ended up as 2 layers per pan.

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

4 (10") flour tortillas
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 large onion, diced
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
12 oz. beer or 1.5 cups water
1 (10oz) package of frozen corn
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 oz. shredded mexican cheese
sour cream and salsa for serving

1. Preheat oven to 400. Using a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9" springform pan, using the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened 5-7 minutes.
3. Add beans and beer to skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, 8-10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Fit a trimmed tortilla into the bottom of the springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and sprinkle evenly with some of the cheese.  Repeat three times, using all of the remaining cheese on the top layer. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes. Unmold pie and serve in slices with sour cream and salsa.

I don't have any pictures of this, as I was rushing around. It was pretty good though and people seemed to enjoy it.

No comments: