Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding

So I took a poll on which dessert I should make tonight. I usually get several comments on every food post I make on Facebook...but I got 2 votes yesterday. Where were you all when I needed your input most??? Anyways, the 2 people made the same vote, so Dulce de Leche it is.

How much of a novice cook am I? The recipe called for egg bread....and I googled egg bread. Yes. I googled egg bread. Turns out it's Challah bread. Why don't they just say that? I got the last loaf of Challah in the store (score!). I also pulled all the stops and bought Ghirardelli brand bittersweet
chocolate chips...

Challah!
Sliced challah

...that's not true. I wasn't trying to be fancy, it was the only brand that sold bittersweet chips in the store.

Also, today this was the second recipe that I overlooked an ingredient and forgot to pick something up for it. I forgot the onions in the French Onion Mac...I know, I know...it's right in the name! And I forgot to grab a nip of rum for the bread puddings. Luckily, our dear friend Steven who passed away not long ago was a liquor enthusiast and in-between trips to England, Canada and here, he would bring us back some sort of scotch or rum to try. He talked on and on about Gosling's Black Rum, and I found it in my parents' liquor cabinet. I am not a rum person...one horrifying night of too much Captain has ruined it for me forever. Even pouring my measly 2 tablespoons of it made me cringe. Ok, back to photos of challah!




Creamy dulce goodness


Dulce deliciousness...

Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding
from Bon Appetit Desserts

8 1/2-inch thick slices egg bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 3/4 to 1-inch cubes
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, divided
1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup purchased dulce de leche or butterscotch caramel ice cream topping
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp sugar
powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350. Place bread cubes in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of melted butter; toss. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bread begins to color, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Cool, brush 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish with remaining melted butter.

2. Stir cream and dulce de leche topping in a medium saucepan over medium heat until well blended and bubbling. Remove from heat. Whisk eggs and yolks in a large bowl. Add rum, vanilla, and salt; gradually whisk in warm dulce de leche mixture. Stir in bread cubes. Let soak 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Mix chocolate chips into custard mixture; transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake pudding until puffed and set in center, about 35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Sift powdered sugar over pudding. Serve warm with additional dulce de leche sauce.

It tastes as good as it looks and sounds.

No comments: