Monday, January 19, 2015

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs

Let's talk about the AFC championship yesterday and how the Patriots dominated that game. Let's also talk about how I decided to have a playoff party at my house, and spent my day cleaning and cooking to prepare. Now, it's well known, I'm not much of a football fan. I mean, I'll watch a game, and be into it when I'm watching, but I don't actively plan my Sundays around football. That was like the second Pats game I watched all season. I will, of course, watch the Superbowl, and enjoy that, but I more enjoy the food for football games.

Now, if it's the Bruins, I plan my life around their games.

Yesterday, Dan worked all day, so I knew he wouldn't be home until right after the game started. I made our famous buffalo chicken crescents, which we get asked for every time we go anywhere. I also tried a couple of new things I found. One are these sweet and sour meatballs, and the other are these loaded baked potato rounds. Everything was a hit. We also had some friends bring brownies, lil' smokies, baked and breaded jalapeno poppers, queso dip, and some other chips and dips.

What's even better than all that? I have today off for Martin Luther King day. So aside from blogging today, I'm also trying my hand at making some meringues. Fingers crossed they come out alright!

The meatballs are great because they're SO easy to make. Chop up some veggies, then throw your meatballs, veggies, pineapple, jar of sauce, some brown sugar and soy sauce in, set your crock pot, and walk away. I wish it had a little bit of a thicker sauce to it, and I almost debated buying two jars of sweet & sour sauce for that reason, but trying to be budget friendly I just grabbed the one. Either way, they're great, and the veggies and pineapple are a nice extra. Usually cocktail-style meatballs are just meatballs and no extra goodies.

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Meatballs
from Six Sister's Stuff

2 lbs. frozen meatballs
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 (10 oz) jar sweet & sour sauce

1. Place meatballs, pineapple, and veggies in the crock pot. Cover with brown sugar, soy sauce, and sweet and sour sauce. Mix everything together.
2. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7 hours.



Sorry for the not-so-appealing picture. I use crock pot liners for easy cleanup, but that makes for not-so-great pictures of anything cooking in there.

No comments: