Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sriracha Bloody Mary

Sometimes I see recipes and go "I can totally wing that, make it my own, so on and so forth" (ok, I might not actually say "so on and so forth"). And, sometimes I drink Bloody Marys on Sundays. I had never drank, nor considered drinking, a bloody mary until 3 years ago on my first trip to Atlantic City. I am not a fan of raw tomatoes or tomato juice, but I make an exception for the juice when it comes to bloody marys. I used to make bloody marys all the time when I was bartending, and got a lot of compliments on how good they were. I prided myself on making a good one even though I had no idea what they were supposed to taste like. Then, I had one. It was pretty glorious. I'm a fan of savory and spicy things, but that's not the best part. Bloody marys help cure a hangover. I have kick-started many Sunday morning recoveries with a good bloody mary. Also, my aunt Mickey swears by a glass of beer and tomato juice to cure a hangover, which I think is gross, but I bet it works!

Anywho, it's Sunday, and though I am not trying to recover from a crazy night, I did want a bloody mary. I have looked 3 or 4 times at the store for horseradish, and not the prepared sauce kind, but without luck of finding any. So today, I remembered a recipe I once saw that used sriracha in it. I figured the sriracha, a chili sauce, would replace the horseradish, so when I tried to look it up I noticed that it needed both sriracha and horseradish. I then decided to just go to the kitchen and concoct my own drink. It's not as good as a traditional bloody mary, and I have decided that a good bloody mary definitely needs some horseradish, that's the biting spice you want and love. Here's what I came up with...

Sriracha Bloody Mary

 ice
vodka
Worcestershire sauce
sriracha
celery salt
fresh lemon wedge
fresh ground black pepper
tomato juice

1. Grab a fun glass (see below). Throw in some ice cubes and the amount of vodka you like.
2. Pour in tomato juice until 3/4 full.
3. Throw in as much of the other ingredients as you like, I like a little more Worcestershire and sriracha. I usually don't like lemon in my bloodys, but a good squeeze of the lemon wedge tasted pretty good.
4. Pour rest of tomato juice until full.
5. Shake up the mix and drink.

Here come some not so great pictures...

Wizard of Oz glass!

The ingredients

Vodka and tomato juice

Mmmmm...

** Add olives! I didn't have any. The best kind would definitely be jumbo garlic-stuffed olives.

I will now proceed to wait for my crock pot ribs to be done and scream at the Bruins.

No comments: