Monday, April 2, 2012

Stir-Fried Egg Ramen

I always get really excited when I find new recipes that sound super yummy, but it seems the days I actually plan on making them are the longest days at work, where all I want to do when I get home is lay in the couch motionless and hope that a magical spoon will appear next to me and just spoon-feed me dinner.

A girl can dream.

Today is one of those days, and I forced myself into the kitchen early (it's only 4:30 and I am eating dinner) to get it done so I can relax the rest of the night...or do the bag-load of work I brought home from work....

Now, I know what some of you might be thinking from the title of this post...Ramen?! Yes, my friends, ramen. As in the little packages that cost 30 cents at the store, the kind you stock your dorm with to cook in your microfridge at 3 am when studying/intoxicated. I still enjoy ramen to this day, I mean why not? It's cheap, quick, salty, and completely unhealthy for the most part. But this recipe makes me feel a little better about it...it adds veggies, shrimp and it's fancy because it's cooked in a wok.

During the making of this dish, as I was draining the ramen into the sink, the strainer cover fell off the pot and I lost half my ramen to the bottom of my sink....which already had some dishes in it. I had to quickly make another pack. Just more stress to add to an already stressful day.

Stir-Fried Egg Ramen
adapted from here

2 packages of ramen noodles
1 cup of peas, thawed
1 cup of corn, thawed
15-20 shrimp, thawed if frozen
pinch of salt
pinch of paprika
pinch or turmeric
pinch of ground mustard
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms
oil for cooking

1. Cook ramen according to package direction, but only leave in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and set aside.
2. Marinate the shrimp in the salt, paprika, turmeric and mustard.
3. Beat the egg, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Prepare an omelet in a small skillet. Once cooked, cut into small strips or pieces and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add peas, corn and shrimp. Cook 2-3 minutes or until shrimp mostly turn pink (if raw). Add the mushrooms and egg, cook for 1 minute. Add ramen noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ramen seasoning packets and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Mix and cook until everything is cooked and heated through.
5. Serve!

No comments: