Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blue Hawaiian Cupcakes

Home at 10:20 on a Saturday night with my puppy. Dan is at work and Tess is at my parent's house. It's just Lana and I. I like nights like this.

Today's recipe was a request, which I was more than happy to fulfill because a) I like baking cupcakes, b) it gives me more motivation and c) it was for a good friend.

The answer is d) all of the above.

Happy Birthday Angela!


 My friend requested some cupcakes for her birthday. I gave her some choices, one being Blue Hawaiian because I know she likes to drink them. She chose Blue Hawaiian and I set out on some researching. I have recipes for plenty of boozy cupcakes, and one was a Blue Hawaiian that I had saved forever ago. But after re-reading the recipe, I didn't like it. I adapted a recipe for a pineapple cream cupcake I found and did the buttercream on my own. I was pretty pleased with how they came out.

Now, like most mixed drinks, looking up the ingredients I found many variations. I went with one that seemed easiest to convert to a cupcake - pineapple, coconut rum, and blue curacao. A good thing to know is that blue curacao is the same thing as orange curacao, except it's blue. AND, both curacaos are triple sec. Triple sec is just a little less sweet than curacao, but all of them are orange liqueurs. You could use a curacao, triple sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau in this recipe and get the same result. Both Grand Marnier and Cointreau are drier then curacaos, and Grand Marnier is more brandy-based. If you have the higher end, then use it, but for these I grabbed a bottle of triple sec ($6) and used some blue food coloring. A bottle of blue curacao ran for $18. Seriously?! Eighteen dollars for a bottle of something orange flavored and disgustingly sugary that is added to drinks just to make them blue. Totally crazy.

I took a recipe for a doctored box-mix and added my own little twist. Now, normally I'm against using a boxed cake mix for my cupcakes, but every now and then I don't mind a recipe that doesn't just call for you to make a batch according to the box directions. This recipe did that and I doctored it even further, so I feel okay about it. I added in some coconut rum and some cream of coconut. I have never used cream of coconut, but it is thicker than I expected. I wish it came in smaller cans, because I used about 2 tablespoons of it and ditched the rest. Such a waste.

Blue Hawaiian Cupcakes
cake adapted from Your Cup of Cake

 For the cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 and 1/4 cup crushed pineapple with juice
3 eggs
1 tbsp cream of coconut
3 tbsp coconut rum

For the buttercream:
4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature
6-7 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp coconut rum
2-3 tbsp triple sec
30-40 drops blue food coloring

1. Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pans for 20-22 cupcakes.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, pineapple, eggs, cream of coconut and coconut rum, and beat until combined.
3. Add the cake mix and beat until combined.
4. Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Let cool.
6. For the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy and fluffy.
7. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time and beat until desired consistency.
8. Add the rum and triple sec and beat on medium-low speed. Add more sugar if the frosting is too thin. Add food coloring and mix until fully distributed.
9. Frost cooled cupcakes and top with cherries and umbrellas!


No comments: