Saturday, October 19, 2013

Maple Bacon Rice Krispy Treats

I honestly don't remember the last time I had a rice krispy treat. Absolutely no idea.

In my latest Cooking Light issue, they featured some different variations of your standard rice krispy treat. I obviously went for the maple bacon ones, but they also had recipes for double chocolate, cherry chip, espresso toffee, chocolate butterscotch, browned butter pecan, candy corn m&m, s'mores, and lemon white chocolate. Eventually, I'd like to make all of them. Rice krispy treats are so easy to make, but not something I usually think of for a dessert. My mind tends to stay glued to cupcakes.

These were good, but definitely not enough maple flavor. I would double the maple next time and see how that does. The bacon adds a nice saltiness to these. There also isn't as much marshmallow as I had expected. When I think of rice krispy treats, I think of the ones we used to get in the cafeteria in elementary school. They were super gooey with all of the marshmallow in them, these are just stuck together with some marshmallow, but mostly crunchy rice cereal. Maybe less cereal next time as well.

Maple Bacon Rice Krispy Treats
from Cooking Light Magazine, October 2013

2 tbsp. butter
10 oz. mini marshmallows
4 slices Applewood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
3 tbsp. maple syrup (definitely add more)
6 cups rice cereal (maybe add less)

1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows over medium-low heat and stir until marshmallows are melted and everything is smooth.
2. Add the bacon and maple syrup and mix to combine. Add the cereal and mix to combine.
3. Press into a greased 9x13 pan.


No comments: