Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Honey Chipotle Shrimp Tacos

Oh. My. Good. Lord.

Yesterday, I saw a recipe for shrimp tacos, which sounded delicious. I decided to wing it because tacos are pretty simple. The only thing I looked up was a sweet and spicy sauce to cook the shrimp in. I decided on a honey chipotle sauce. The best thing about this sauce is that it uses things you already have, no reason to run out to the store. I finally used up the last of my sweet and smoky seasoning with this, so I guess a trip to the store would be needed for this if I make it again. I mean when I make it again, because this recipe was FANTASTIC!

Usually, when I just decide to wing it, there's always something that doesn't come out right or that I wish I did different. The only thing I would change about this, is that I would add the shrimp a little later and let the sauce thicken up more first. Other than that, I was incredibly pleased with how everything came together so nicely. I thought I had some Mexican shredded cheese left, but I didn't I had about 1/3 cup of shredded Monterey Jack and a bag of Velveeta shreds. That would have to do.

I started with my Mission Carb Balance tortillas. Seriously, I've talked about these before, and they are hands down the best tortillas ever. EVER. They are just so super soft and fresh. I melted some cheese on them and them topped them with my sour cream-avocado mash. I was pretty nervous about attempting the mash, because avocado is very bland to me, and then I worried about over-seasoning it. It came out perfectly for my taste. I topped this with the shrimp and corn and some cilantro. Perfect!

The sauce was sweeter than spicier, which was fine with me. It paired perfectly with saltiness of the sour cream-avocado mash and you could taste the cilantro with everything as well. I was pretty impressed with myself on this one. And there's no way I'm fessing up to how many servings I had....

Honey Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
sauce from Grocery Budget 101

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. white vinegar
2-4 tsp. chipotle seasoning (I use Grill Mates Sweet n Smoky rub)
1/4 tsp. salt
40 small shrimp, tail removed (I used frozen)
1/2 can sweet corn kernels
1/2 Hass avocado
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning
shredded cheese
cilantro, minced
flour tortillas

1. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the honey, corn syrup, ketchup, water, vinegar, chipotle seasoning and salt. Heat in a skillet over medium heat and let cook until sauce thickens and reduced a bit.
2. While the sauce cooks, mash together the avocado, sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and chipotle seasoning.
3. Once the sauce is reduced, add the shrimp and corn. Cook until heated through.
4. To serve, melt cheese on tortillas, spread some avocado mash on top, top with shrimp and corn and minced cilantro.





No comments: