Monday, October 7, 2013

Chocolate Caramel Bailey's Cupcakes

Two sets of cupcakes in one week! It makes me feel pretty productive. It makes me feel even more productive that it was two sets of cupcakes in a matter of three days. Also, I broke my frosting gun tonight. I've been meaning to get another one anyways, but the tip on the pump handle broke off. Now, I know it's not the end of the word. I do own plenty of pastry bags, but I like the gun. Pastry bags can get messy, and I need more practice with them. I'm just used to my gun.

These cupcakes are a thank you to Dan's aunt who has been coming over and letting Lana out now that my friend and his sister can't stop by during the day anymore (they'll be getting treats too!). These cupcakes are also a recipe that I know about 100 people would want to try, so I have a feeling I'll be making these again when people complain that they didn't get to try any. Dan said they were some of his favorite ones yet, which is pretty big considering he is not a chocolate guy. But, he is a Bailey's guy, and these cupcakes have a decent amount in them. They're also filled with a chocolate-caramel ganache.

In the past, I've made some intensive filled cupcakes. These are not that case. This is a doctored boxed cake mix (which I stated in my last cupcake post I tend to stay away from). I actually probably wouldn't use this mix again. The cupcakes are extremely light and fluffy, they feel like a little cloud when you hold them without the filling and frosting. That might sound good, but for some of them, biting into them makes them sort of collapse because they're so light. A denser cupcake is better for filling and a good serving of frosting. I also used a different brand of cake mix, so that could be it too. The cake does come together quickly though, as well as the ganache, which cooled faster than some other ganaches I've made, which was nice - less waiting around. The frosting is also easy, but I needed to add the Bailey's and cream mix halfway through the addition of the sugar because it got so thick. I also added more Bailey's and cream than the recipe called for to get the consistency I wanted. Below is the original recipe with some of my notes of what I did.



Chocolate Caramel Bailey's Cupcakes
semi-adapted from Tidy Mom

For the cake:
1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker's Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix)
3 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Bailey's
1/2 cup butter, melted

For the ganache:
10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I only had 7 oz, so I used 3 oz of semi-sweet too)
1 cup heavy cream
10-12 caramel candies, unwrapped

For the frosting:
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
8 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/3 cup Bailey's
1/3-1/2 cup heavy cream

Caramel sauce for topping

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 cupcakes pans with liners.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together all cake ingredients on low until combined. Then, beat on high speed for 2 minutes.
3. Fill cupcake liners evenly and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
4. While the cakes are cooking, place the chopped chocolate in a bowl and set aside. Heat the cream and caramels in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and stir until combined. Pour over chocolate, let sit for 5 minutes, then stir until melted, combined and glossy. Place in the fridge to thicken up until ready to fill.
5. For the frosting, combine the Bailey's and cream in a measuring cup. Beat the shortening and vanilla until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time. When it gets too thick, slowly pour in half the Bailey's mixture. Add the rest of the sugar one cup at a time, and then slowly add the remaining Bailey's mixture. Add more Bailey's or cream if you want it thinner.
6. Use a pairing knife to cut a cone/hole in the middle of each cake. Fill with ganache. Top with frosting and drizzle with caramel sauce.

** A note on the caramel sauce: I used the ice cream topping caramel sauce in the squeeze bottle. I forgot how liquid-y it is and how fast it comes out. So as you can see below, the first couple are drenched in caramel before I had a good pressure going to drizzle the rest. I suggest putting the caramel (homemade is even better!) into a small decorating squeeze bottle for better control.



All packed up

Thank you much!



No comments: