Monday, October 7, 2013

Turkey Piccata

It is a windy, rainy Monday. I love days like this. I was even hoping for some thunder, but I guess the rain will do. I don't think the dogs appreciate the weather as much as I do, though. As I type this, Tess is on the floor, popping her head up every time the window blows through the windows and rustles up something in the house.

Today was a pretty productive day, especially since I maybe slept for about 2 hours last night. I was able to come home, relax for a half hour, and then start on a super yummy supper. Dan took Lana to his parents to do a side job, so it's just Tess and I, enjoying our dinner and peace and quiet until Hurricane Lana returns. Hopefully their dog will have tired her out a bit, so I can get to kitchen adventure #2: cupcakes.

In my most recent edition of Cooking Light magazine, they had a recipe for Turkey Piccata. I'm always looking for something new and finding ways to throw in some turkey here and there. We eat a lot of chicken and beef here, so finding good recipes for turkey cutlets is always welcome. Piccata is one of those staple dishes at most Italian restaurants, but I can't say I've ever ordered it. I've tried it, and it's good, but it's not my go-to if I'm out for Italian (pasta takes the medal on that one). This recipe looked too easy and yummy to pass up.

One thing I would change, is a little less lemon juice. I may have used slightly too much. I took a lemon, sliced it in half and gave each half a squeeze over the pan. Even so, lemon juice goes a long way, and two tablespoons of it in the smaller amount of gravy this recipe produced was a bit too lemon-y for my taste. It was still very good, but I'd prefer less lemon next time.

Turkey Piccata
from Cooking Light, October 2013

8 (3-ounce) turkey cutlets
salt and pepper for seasoning turkey
1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1/4 cup chopped shallot
1 tbsp. sliced garlic (I used minced)
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp. flour
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1.5 tbsp. capers, drained
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1. Sprinkle turkey cutlets with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1.5 teaspoons of oil and swirl the pan to coat. Add 4 cutlets to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove cutlets from pan and keep warm; repeat with other 4 cutlets in remaining oil.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add shallots and garlic; saute 1 minute. Increase the heat to high. Add wine, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, and scrape the pan to loosen the browned bits.
3. Combine the stock and flour and whisk together. Add to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining butter, lemon juice and capers. Pour sauce over cutlets, sprinkle with parsley, and serve!

Bubbling sauce

Odd angle...don't know why this photo didn't rotate. You get the hint though.

No comments: