Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Crumbs Bake Shop Review

A Crumbs Bake Shop went into the mall near us some time ago, and I just never got the chance to get in there. I was excited when I saw the "coming soon" sign in the store front, so you would think I would have made it a point to go there when it opened. But, I never did. Today I had to go to the mall to pick up newly re-sized engagement ring, so cupcakes just seemed like a good idea.

My good idea got even better when I walked into Crumbs and the girl told me, "Everything today is buy one, get one". Really?! A BOGO sale at a cupcake shop? Don't mind if I do. I had planned on just grabbing two to try, so now I could get four! For someone who almost never eats sweets, I was overly excited. Here's what I ended up with, and what my thoughts are. I took a big bite out of each (it will take me about 3 days to eat all 4, though Dan will get to them first).



Cupcake #1: Pumpkin
Pumpkin cake, filled and topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting, with streusel around the edges and a cinnamon dusting on top. The cake was actually pretty good. Not as moist as many homemade pumpkin cupcakes I've had, but good flavor. The frosting was pretty standard. I'd give this a 3 out 5.



Cupcake #2: Cannoli
Vanilla cake, filled and topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting mixed with mini chocolate chips, and topped off with a mini cannoli that is filled with vanilla cream cheese frosting and mini chocolate chips. This was just eh. The cake was slightly drier than I would have liked, and it's that same basic frosting. It also would have been nice for the cannoli to be a little more authentic, rather than filled with the same frosting as the cupcake. I give this a 2 out of 5.



Cupcake #3: Thin Mint
This is a Girl Scout special. It's a devil's food cake filled with fudge, topped with mint cream cheese frosting, rolled in chocolate cake crumbs, and topped with a thin mint cookie. This is getting better as far as the cupcakes go. The cake was pretty moist, but I never noticed any fudge filling. The frosting was slightly dry too, and only had a hint of mint flavor, I would have liked to taste more mint. I give this a 3 out of 5.


Cupcake #4:Caramel Coconut
Another Girl Scout special. Vanilla cake, filled with caramel and topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting. Then it's rolled in toasted coconut and finished off with a caramel coconut cookie. The vanilla cake was the same, a little drier than I preferred. The frosting was delicious and the coconut added a great flavor and a little chewy texture. I did not, however notice any caramel filling in my big bite. I give this a 4 out of 5.


Maybe after I eat some more, I will notice the fillings that seemed to be missing in my bites.

All in all, I would say Crumbs are worth a try, but not so sure they're worth the money. Every time I try a nationally known cupcake brand, they fall short of that yummy homemade goodness that cupcakes are all about. I still prefer my own standard cupcakes baked in my own kitchen.

No comments: