Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Happy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day!

I know nothing about rhubarb. I do know that I ate a piece raw and thought to myself "Why am I about to make an entire pie with this stuff in it?". I went ahead with it anyways, because I had bought everything for it. I will admit that I liked the pie, so my doubts about rhubarb were put to rest.

It is not a pretty pie. I cannot for the life of me seal a pie crust or flute the edges. I haven't exactly practiced or looked up the proper way to do. My style is just to wing it and hope that it comes out perfect and huff and puff when it looks like crap.

Huff.



Puff.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
from Cooks dot com

2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced in half
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 tbsp. butter, melted
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 unbaked pie crusts

1. Preheat oven to 400. Place one crust into a pie plate
2. Pour strawberries and rhubarb onto the bottom of the crust.
3. Mix all other ingredients well and pour over fruit.
4. Cover with other pie crust and cut slits to vent. Seal and flute edges.
5. Cover the edges with tinfoil. Bake for 30 minutes. 
6. Reduce heat to 350 and remove tinfoil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden.

Unimpressive pie.

 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Say what? I think it looks amazing, quit that huffing and puffing ;)