Friday, March 28, 2014

Apple BBQ Pulled Pork

The original version of this recipe was a healthier alternative to pulled pork. I adapted it for two reasons. First, I had almost all of the ingredients. Second, it called for turkey tenderloins, which my grocer had about 1 lb of. They weren't getting any more in until today and I wasn't about to pay $14 for turkey breast cutlets. So, I decided to use a pork roast instead, which was cheaper. I was definitely bummed because I wanted to try the pulled turkey, but I'll save that for another time.

Coming home from Atlantic City reminds me of how much March sucks at work. It is easily the busiest month in school for me. The perfect time for a much needed vacation, but so much going on. A crock pot meal was definitely on my list for this week, because I just didn't have the time to make a full-blown meal with getting back into the swing of everything and having cake class Wednesday. I prepped everything for this meal the night before, with the exception of cutting the apples. I sliced the onions and mixed together the sauce. Then, in the morning I sliced the apples and threw them, the onions, and pork into the crock pot and topped with sauce. When I came home it was perfectly cooked! All I had to do was shred and eat! That solved yesterday's dinner. Wednesday I made Hamburger Helper (don't judge!), and Tuesday, upon my return from AC, I was greeted with my Gram's homemade mac and cheese! The recipe below is the original with some notes on how I adapted it.

Tonight, I'm going out to eat. I feel guilty since I had to go out for all of my meals when I was in AC but for only having a 3-day work week, it was a long and trying one. Also, my comma key isn't working 100% on here, so if there's a few missing commas in this post or any other recent ones, I know they're missing. I'm just too drained to put in the extra focus to remember to hit the key harder....

Apple BBQ Pulled Pork
Adapted from Slender Kitchen

2 lb. turkey tenderloins (I used a 2.5 lb pork roast)
1 cup BBQ sauce (the healthier the better)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin (I used just under a tbsp., I wanted more flavor)
1 tbsp. chili powder (I used just under a tbsp. of this as well)
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt and pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
2 apples, sliced

1. Mix together the BBq sauce through the salt and pepper. Adjust the amount of seasoning to taste.
2. Place the pork, onions and apple slices in the crock pot. Cover with sauce and cook on low for 8 hours.
3. Remove the top layer of fat from the pork and shred. Combine with sauce and serve! I served in bulkie rolls.

** Here is a recommendation if you can be home with your crock pot 2 hours before it will be done. Add the apples at this point, rather than putting them in at the beginning. When they cook all day, they mush and dissolve into the sauce.



No comments: