Monday, March 31, 2014

Shrimp & Corn Chowder

This is an old recipe I posted a ways back, but I've changed it up a little since the first time I've made it. I also, almost never, make the same recipe twice. I just get too excited about news ones. We have a few dinners that I make frequently but they're not recipe worthy. They're things like steak tips or spaghetti and meatballs. I've made this probably three times since last fall. I changed it up again this time, but will go back to the way I usually make it. It's the perfect meal for a cold or rainy day, but it's even good in warm weather. Sometimes you just get a soup craving, even when it's warm out...

Shrimp & Corn Chowder
 adapted from Wine Imbiber

6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
about a tsp of dried thyme
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3-4 tbsp. chipotle seasoning* see what I use below
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
6-7 cups chicken or beef stock (can use veggie, but I think these have more flavor)
2 cups of heavy cream
2 Idaho potatoes
1/2 lb.shrimp chopped into pieces
1 bag frozen corn
salt and pepper
sprinkle of parsley
green onion for garnish (optional)
 ** have on hand: mashed potato flakes

1. In a large stock pot, cook the bacon pieces until crispy. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
2. Add the onion, celery, carrot, jalapeno and garlic to the stock pot with the bacon drippings. Saute until veggies begin to soften. Sprinkle with flour, chipotle seasoning, and red pepper flakes, and thyme and stir to coat. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. While it heats up, peel and dice the potatoes.
4. Add the potatoes and cream and bring to a rolling boil. Boil hard for 7-10 minutes. This process helps break down the potatoes, which will thicken up the broth.
5. Add the corn and shrimp and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the corn and shrimp are heated through.
6. Stir in parsley. Serve garnished with green onion and the cooked bacon pieces.

** If you feel your broth is not as thick as you'd like, add the potato flakes, a quarter cup at a time to thicken it up a bit. This past time I ended up adding a whole cup...it made the broth VERY thick once it had time to sit. In the past I've only added about 1/2 cup and that worked out perfectly. All depends on your taste!





This is what I use when I have a recipe that calls for chipotle seasoning. I use it when I just want to add any random seasoning, because IT'S THAT GOOD. Get yourself some, you will use it all the time.

No comments: