Saturday, March 8, 2014

Smoky Bacon and Onion Deviled Eggs

It's almost 50 degrees out! Dan is in Maine finishing a side job up there, and I've spent my day with crazy Lana, running errands, having lunch with my mom and my Gram, and then prepping food for an appetizer party I'm going to later. I tend to always choose appetizers that are very time consuming. I wanted to make something easier and something I already had some ingredients for. I sort of did that. I had all the ingredients for deviled eggs, but they aren't exactly quick. I needed a bit of ingredients for my other app (check back later!), but they were easier. Of course, Lana makes any cooking process longer when she's running around the house like a madman or trying to swipe everything off the counters.

I adapted this recipe a little bit from the original to fit with what I had on hand. The original calls for caramelized onions, but I had some diced frozen ones. Caramelized onions are 100 times better, but I didn't have the time to make them today. They would surely make these eggs even better than they already are! I also had a pack of real bacon bits, which cut out the time of cooking some bacon. The time consuming thing about deviled eggs is the cracking of the eggs. One of my eggs cracked while cooking, so it ended up with this sort of bubbly growth of egg white on it. Still usable for one half the egg though, so that was good. The worst is when you crack an egg and it breaks in half the wrong way. I had one that did that as well, but all in all, the others came out perfectly. I opted out of the jalapenos, but did sub in some sweet n smoky rub. I doubled the original recipe, but it needed a little more mayo than it called for. With the amount the recipe stated, it ended up being too dry.

Smoky Bacon and Onion Deviled Eggs
adapted from The Endless Meal

12 eggs, hard boiled
5 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/3 cup diced cooked onion
1/3 cup diced cooked bacon
2/3 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp. smoky rub or some smoky chipotle seasoning

1. Cut the eggs in half and reserve the yolks in a bowl.
2. Mix the mayo, onion, bacon, cheese and smoky seasoning with the yolks until fully combined.
3. Spoon the mix into each of the hollowed egg whites.
4. Sprinkle with extra seasoning if desired.



Bonus pic of my cake from class this week!

No comments: