Sunday, March 2, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Chili

A few days ago, my classroom was abuzz with talks of a snow day tomorrow. Turns out this storm is going to miss us. I'm both happy and sad about this. Snow days are always fun, an I don't mind having those days added on in the summer. I teach summer school, so I'm working anyways. On the other hand, I'm tired of snow, and cold weather, and paying for oil, and dealing with snow in the yard when taking Lana out. I just want it to be spring weather already and I want a fence so Lana doesn't need to be leashed to go out. The other reason I wouldn't mind a snow day? There's a bread I want to make and I need to make a cake for class, so I'd love to be able to do it during the day tomorrow. I might make the bread tonight, I haven't decided yet. Stay tuned, there may be a second post.

I'm not sure if I want to call this a chili or not. I feel like I just ate a bowl of chili, but when I was eating it, it didn't exactly seem like it. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd call if not calling it chili. It's a great alternative to a hearty chili of you want something healthier and a little fresher. It was also very easy to throw together. A good chili can take hours to simmer and cook, so this is a great weeknight fix if you're jonesing for some chili. Plus, it's from Weight Watchers Magazine, so you can always feel good about a recipe noted for being healthy.

My only changes were:
- I used half an onion
- I didn't have any light beer (I know, we have no beer in the house!), so I used beef broth
- I sprinkled a little shredded cheddar on top along with the Gorgonzola

Buffalo Chicken Chili
from Nov/Dec Weight Watchers Magazine

2 tbsp. canola oil
1 lb. ground chicken
1 small onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 cup low-sodium chicken brother
1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1/3 cup cayenne pepper sauce
1 tbsp. crumbled Gorgonzola (per serving)
1 tbsp. fat-free sour cream (per serving)

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until softened a bit, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth, beer, tomatoes and pepper sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
4. Serve topped with Gorgonzola and sour cream.

One thing I noticed was that the sauce/liquid didn't reduce after simmering. Next time, I would add a little less liquids. I was also worried about the heat (spiciness). I like a little heat, but I don't want the heat lingering in my mouth for hours or burning my lips. This was actually just right. I got the heat I wanted but not too overpowering. It was pretty good, and I loved the freshness of the veggies in it. Like I said before, this isn't a normal hearty chili, it's a quick, fresher and healthier way to get your chili fix.





No comments: