Monday, March 3, 2014

Stove-Top Bacon Alfredo

I'm not sure, but I think this recipe is from Cooking Light, March 2014? It's from one of the recent magazines I pulled a bunch of recipes out of, but the page doesn't have the source listed. I even googled it, and didn't quite find it, so apologies in advance.

Not only do I not know exactly where this is from, but I managed to make a healthier version of Alfredo unhealthy again. I mean, it's not hard when the ingredients are bacon, pasta, cream and cheese. It all started when I poured a little too much pasta in the pan, so I added a little bit more broth so there was enough liquid to boil the pasta. Then that made me add more cream to get the same creaminess. Which then led to needing more cheese. It's kind of a "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" scenario...

When you make this, follow the original recipe I'm posting below. Don't go overboard like I did, the original healthier recipe would be just as flavorful. I didn't have any peas left like I thought, so my dish doesn't have any, but definitely add peas if you like them. I ADORE peas and was pretty bummed when I learned I had none left in the freezer. By the way, cooking pasta in broth is genius! Why have I not done this before? The flavor it adds in unreal!

Now I just have to wait for my cake for class to finish baking....

Stove-Top Bacon Alfredo
from Cooking Light, March 2014 (maybe?)

4 slices bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth (I used beef)
1 cup water
8 oz. dried rigatoni
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup frozen peas (if using)

1. Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crispy. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
2. Add broth, water, pasta and peas (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste if you'd like. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes until pasta is cooked.
3. Add whipping cream and Parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.


No comments: