Sunday, October 17, 2010

Broiled Flank Steak with Chimichurri

Today was a long day. I started by planning more for Erin's bday bash, and made my list of groceries I'll need for the menu. Then I figured out what I can make ahead of time so I'm not in the kitchen at 6 a.m. the morning of the party. Then I picked up the girls to go halloween costume shopping and decoration shopping for the bday bash. We had a successful shopping adventure, and we will look FANTASTIC for halloween.

I also had to drop off my car to get new brakes, because it is making god-awful noises when I brake. Noises that the girls described as "i feel like I'm in an airplane taking off" and "is there a growling monster under your car?". Yep.

THEN, I went grocery shopping for my weekly cooking. Tonight, I decided to make the chimichurri sauce I read about in the first issue of Clean Eating I found. I'm glad I made it. My food processor failed me, as it is beastly, and there weren't a lot of ingredients, so I had to switch to my imitation Magic Bullet blender, which worked perfectly. This recipe involved a lot of firsts for me. First time cooking steak (I know!), first time eating chimichurri, first time broiling anything for more than 1 minute, first injury from the microwave...

I cheated a bit and made my rice in the microwave in my awesome Pampered Chef Micro-Cooker, because I just didn't feel like using the stove to boil water.



Chimichurri Sauce

1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp low-sodium vegetable broth
20 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
leaves from 5 sprigs fresh oregano
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp fine sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor fitted with a standard blade. Process to form a pesto-like sauce, scraping down the bowl as needed.

For the steak, you just broil it for a couple minutes on each side. I overcooked mine slightly (first time broiling!), which was 5 minutes on each side. It wasn't bad, it was just well-done, when I wanted it medium. I also sprinkled some sea salt on each side.

Serve the steak over rice with some chimichurri over it and you have a delicious simple meal.

I finally have a couple minutes to relax...but I probably won't. Perhaps I'll make some apple crisp...

No comments: