Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sweet & Hot Shrimp Tacos

I know I've mentioned a couple times how much I love my new subscription to Clean Eating magazine...but one more time won't hurt. I LOVE Clean Eating! Tonight's dish was exactly what the post title says: Sweet & Hot Shrimp Tacos. This was one of my favorite things that I've made in a long time. I was a little wary at the beginning. When I think of tacos, i think beef and cheese and salty-salsa-y goodness. So when I read the ingredients that included, shrimp, cherries, ginger, raw honey....I pondered for a while. At the moment, blogger is telling me that I will not be able to upload photos for two hours due to maintenance, and my phone hasn't finished sending the photos to my email (seriously, phone?).

OK, so I ditched this post for other more important things, like party planning and drinking Old Speckled Hen at the BBC. I will now try and finish this post, and then pass out in my comfy bed and hopefully not wake up with a cold (which I'm sure I will).

Sweet & Hot Shrimp Tacos


1 cup frozen or fresh pitted red cherries (if frozen. no need to thaw)
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half and seeded (1 for mild, 2 for hot)
1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and quartered
4 tsp. raw honey
24 large raw shrimp. shells and tails removed
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
8 whole grain corn soft taco shells
1 small head radicchio, thinly sliced
4 large carrots, peeled and grated
Cilantro leave for garnish

1. Place cherries, jalapeno, ginger and honey in a mini chopper or blender along with 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth (there may be small bits of cherry).
2. Season shrimp with sea salt. Heat large skillet over high heat. Add oil and shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally until shrimp are pink on the outside but not cooked through. Reduce heat to medium and carefully add cherry mixture. Simmer for about 2 minutes, until sauce reduces slightly and shrimp are cooked through.
3. Preheat oven to 400. Warm taco shells for 2 minutes. Spoon shrimp and cherry sauce onto shell and top with radicchio, carrots, and cilantro for garnish. Serve immediately.

From: Clean Eating Sep/Oct 2010

This was FANTASTIC. My only complaint is that the radicchio is too bitter. I also used pre-shredded carrots to save time, and grating my own would have been better. The grated carrots would add a nice freshness, where the thicker shredded ones were a bit much. It has a nice sweet taste with the jalapeno after-burn that creeps up on you.

No comments: