Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

I finally caved and decided that this week was going to be the week I made Eggplant Parm. For some reason, I always thought that eggplants were going to be difficult to work with...but they aren't, at all. AND...they were on sale for 99 cents at Shaws. Nothing at Shaws is that cheap. Seriously. My shoes were cheaper than any product I bought on my last shopping expedition. So I bought 3 lovely eggplants and today I got to work. The beginning part of the parm is time consuming. Between peeling and slicing all 3 eggplants, you have to dip them in egg and dredge each piece in breadcrumbs, then bake them for 5 minutes per side. Then start layering the baking dish. But it was super simple. I always thought eggplant parm was one of those crazy detailed dishes...but all I needed was 7 ingredients. I am currently typing this while it is baking in the oven...so cross your fingers everyone that this dish is better than last night. Also, a bonus about this dish is that it's great for people who are diabetic.

I have been slacking lately with the photos. I completely forgot to take a picture of it when it was done...right now it just two huge hunks taken out if it, which doesn't make for a pretty picture.


Eggplant Parmesan

3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I only used 2 cups)
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16oz) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. basil

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Dip the eggplant slices in egg, then in breadcrumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes on each side.
3. In a 9x13" baking dish, spread about 1 cup of spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with cheeses. Repeat for 2 more layers, ending with cheeses. Sprinkle basil on the top.
4. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

After all is said and done, I would try slice the eggplant even thinner next time, but I like it.

I have no fun quotes about eggplant or parmesan. All that comes to mind is a character from the greatest TV show ever: Arrested Development. And that character is none other than this guy...


Gene Parmesan, private detective.

No comments: